If you've been plagued with sluggish drains, frequent clogs and foul odors coming from your kitchen sink, you might have some issues that will require the help of a professional plumber. However, don't call the plumber just yet. You might just have some built-up sludge that needs to be removed from the drains and garbage disposal blades. Here are two quick fixes that might take care of the problem for you.
You might not know this but every time you wash your dishes, small particles of food get stuck to the sides of your drain pipes. This is particularly true if you don't scrape your plates into the trash before you place them in the sink or dishwasher. Eventually, all that built-up food will make your drains sluggish. If your drains are sluggish, or you're experiencing more clogs, here's a quick way to remove the grime and get your drains flowing again.
Supplies You'll Need
- 1 ½ cup of baking soda
- 1 ½ cup of vinegar
- 1 gallon of boiling water
- Remove the dishes from the sink.
- Pour your baking soda down the drain and allow it sit for about 15 minutes.
- Pour the vinegar into the drain. Be sure to do this slowly because the baking soda will begin foaming up through the drain.
- Allow the solution to foam in the drains for about 30 minutes.
- Slowly pour your boiling water down the drain to wash away the grime.
- Repeat the process once a month to keep your drains flowing smoothly.
Foul odors coming from your kitchen sink may be a sign that your garbage disposal is dirty. Food particles that aren't completely washed down the drain can get stuck under the disposal blades. If those particles stay there for too long they can begin rotting. You can get rid of the odor and clean your disposal blade using this simple procedure once a month.
Supplies You'll Need
- One small lemon
- Sharp knife
- 1 ½ cups of crushed ice
- Take your sharp knife and cut your lemon into small slices.
- Place the lemon slices and the crushed ice in your garbage disposal.
- Turn the garbage disposal on and allow it to run for about 20 seconds or until the ice and lemon have been pulverized.
- The lemon slices will freshen your drains while the crushed ice cleans and sharpens your disposal blades.
If you've got sluggish or smelly drains, you want to take care of the problems as soon as possible. Use the tips provided above to alleviate the problem quickly and easily. If the problems persist, be sure to contact a plumber like M.A.C. Plumbing & Heating. You may have more complicated plumbing issues that your will require professional attention.